Game of Thrones is one of the best TV series and have viewers all around the world. This TV series is based on a novel of the same name written by George R.R. Martin. Game of Thrones has become so famous that the series went on for 8 seasons and people waited eagerly for each one. The characters are special in their own ways and their words are remembered by the fans. GOT quotes are never-ending and there are some lines from the novel that marks an important part in the story and they are really useful in daily life. Hence we have listed some of the best Game of Thrones quotes that people should read at least once.
Best Game of Thrones Quotes
Here is a list of the top 15 Game of Thrones quotes that marked some of the most important and interesting moments in the series and are also some really important life lessons for all people out there.
1. "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." — Ned Stark
This quote was said by Ned Stark to his son. The sentence established his character in the series which shows how loyal Ned Stark is to his job and that he has a strong sense of justice and honor. This is one quote that can also be used in daily life. It means that a person who gives the orders should follow them first.
2. "I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples, bastards, and broken things." — Tyrion
This is a line from the early days of the show and was part of the conversation held between Bran and Tyrion. The reason this is important is that it shows a huge part of Tyrion’s character which is that even though he is a ferocious leader, there are difficulties in his past that have made him he is and because of his shortcomings, which is his height, he sympathizes with people who are like him.
3. "I grew up with soldiers. I learned how to die a long time ago." — Ned Stark
This is a line where Ned Stark shows his strength and his view towards life. When he says that he is not afraid of death is because he saw death, knows death and prepares for death.
4. "The next time you raise a hand to me will be the last time you have hands!" — Khaleesi
This is a line that shows the actual power of Khaleesi when she has had enough of her brother who was the would-be king of Westeros.
5. “When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die.” — Cersei Lannister
Game of Thrones is a show that is all about the politics that goes on in royal families and this is one of the most appropriate quotes that describe that entire show. Cersei sends a clear message to Ned Stark with this line that takes place before King Robert dies. It reveals the cruelty of competition and war.
6. “I’m not questioning your honor, Lord Janos. I’m denying its existence.” — Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion has been shown as a very straightforward and strong-willed man who is intelligent and sharp-witted in the series. These lines are said by Tyrion to Janos’ when Tyrion is asked to remove Janos from the position of the leader.
7. “There’s a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand.” — Jorah Mormont
Jorah who has served as an advisor to Daenerys says this line which is a very strong and impressive statement to make. This happens when he is talking to Daenerys about the war and he gives her a warning about the violence that the war will cause.
8. "Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again — the fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love ... illusions. Only the ladder is real, the climb is all there is." — Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish
This revealing speech by Petyr in the series Littlefinger shows what his actual intentions are. This speech clearly shows that he is a man who is only interested in violence and would not stop even if it meant the destruction of the realm.
9. “By what right does the wolf judge the lion?” — Jaime Lannister
This line said by Jaime Lannister was a turning point for his character. Up until this point, his character was shown as a brutal person who was named Kingslayer. But after this final sentence which is the quote “ by what right does the wolf judge the lion?” people could believe that he is also right in his own way.
10. "Any man who must say 'I am the king' is no true king." — Tywin Lannister
Tywin Lannister is another person who speaks ruthlessly and he shows the boy King Joffrey his place by telling him that shouting out his title is not going to make people believe that he actually has power, his actions will.
11. "Nothing isn't better or worse than anything. Nothing is just nothing." — Arya Stark
Arya Stark has gone through a lot in the series and this line appropriately shows her views on life. She believes that life is hard and since she lost her parents, she went through a lot and she developed a really negative outlook on life. She says these lines to a man who is slowly dying and tries to tell him what is the reality of death.
12. "A ruler who kills those devoted to her is not a ruler who inspires devotion." — Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion is the person with so much wisdom because of this, he has the best lines in the show. This is a line when Tyrion first meets Daenerys. This is the advice he gives her when she asks him what she should do with Jorah.
13. "All rulers are either butchers or meat." — Daario Naharis
Daario gives advice to Daenerys to kill all the leaders of Meereen without any warning. Daenerys protests by saying that she is not a butcher. Daario then says this iconic line “ all rulers are either butchers or meat” to convinces her to kill all the leaders of Meereen. She then comes to action and does as he said.
14. “If you think this has a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention.” — Ramsay Bolton
Ramsay says these lines to teach him about happy endings and show him that his definition of happy endings might be wrong. This line also marks for a big turn in the show's storyline since a lot of bloodsheds creates a sad ending for Theon.
15. “Power resides where men believe it resides. It’s a trick, a shadow on the wall. And a very small man can cast a very large shadow.” — Lord Varys
This is a very important lesson given by Lord Varys to Tyrion when Lord Varys becomes his associate. He means that people can be fooled into thinking that a person is powerful. However sometimes the person you believe is powerful is only faking it and in reality, is very weak. This is a very important line that targets a lot of characters in the show including the actual rulers of Westeros.
These are some of the top game of thrones quotes. The books are amazing and should be included in your reading list if you like to read. If you do not love reading, you can also go for the television series which also has some wonderful visuals and a great storyline. The eight seasons is a treat. So, go watch the TV series or read the Game of Thrones books.